I did it. I DIYed my first real project. Sure, I’ve updated with spray paint. I’ve rearranged furniture (enough times to make my husband think I have a feng shui addiction). But this is the first start-from-scratch project I’ve completed 100% myself. I shared my master bedroom mood board a little while ago and this project was part of it.
I DIYed a headboard! I couldn’t have done it without some inspiration and a few of the fantastic blogs I follow have tutorials that really helped me realize that I could do it (and how to do it as well). I have to share the big reveal first because we all know it’s the best part:
Now on to how it’s done. As I mentioned, I read two tutorials over and over and then over and over again to make sure I knew what I was doing. Censational Girl posted about her nailhead trim headboard but I knew I wouldn’t go that fancy. We don’t own power tools, have a garage or actually have the skill to do that (YET). I also read about a DIY headboard on another blog, but I can’t remember which one. Trust me with CG’s though. She’s got more than one, so you should be able to follow. Also, I ordered my nailhead trim from the same place she did, but more on that later. Tutorial time!
First, go to Home Depot with a friend. I recommend a Friday night around 9:45pm. The service is excellent and the rides are free.
I bought a 60″ w x 32″ h piece of plywood. I have no idea what kind. We chose the thickness based on what was eye level. There was a HD guy there to “assist” but I’m not convinced he knew what he was doing. What really tipped me off that he wasn’t properly trained was the fact that we almost convinced him to let Katie use the wood cutter. Not smart. We still don’t let her use bread knives, but that’s another story…
After Home Depot, we went to JoAnn Fabrics and bought a great golden tan fabric (2 yards I think) that was a classy jersey knit. No, that is not a contradiction. My headboard fabric is like Snooki covered in glitter. Okay, that probably didn’t paint the right picture. Anyways, it works people. I also bought 1″ thick foam and 2 queen size bags of batting. I wanted this puppy thick and comfy so in case anyone steals our bed, we can sleep on the headboard. Is this getting weird for you too? Blame the wine…
After she was all wrapped up in the foam and batting, I got my staple gun and put about a thousand staples in to secure the padding, then to secure the fabric. You would think I took a picture of the headboard with just the fabric. Nope. Too excited to get to step two. The trim!!! I mentioned before that I ordered my nailhead trim from Beacon Fabrics, just like CG. Not because I want to do things exactly like her, but I couldn’t find it in any store. Any where. I live in the DC metro area and no one sold this stuff. Le sigh. So I anxiously waited for it to arrive and within a few short days it was time to complete my DIY headboard journey.
I read that you need to use a rubber mallet to hammer these so you don’t ruin the finish. This is good advice. And I don’t have a rubber mallet, so I improvised like any good DIYer would do.
I used my sock. By the way, don’t use good socks. That poor guy is holey and had to be thrown away. Also, while the nailhead trim is easy to shape, the sides are quite sharp. I had cuts and was bleeding. Yes, I bled making a headboard. My fingers looked like they got into a fight with a ream of paper. Paper, 1. Fingers, 0. Luckily, the trim went in easily and quickly, so after I bandaged up my battle wounds, I finished up and was left with a fabulous new headboard! The best part is that since we have a platform bed (IKEA Malm) I was able to wedge it between the mattress/boxspring and the back part of the bed. Since we’re still renting, I am hesitant to put too many holes in the wall. I’m lazy and don’t want to patch those bad oscars up when we eventually leave.
If you think you want to tackle this project, DO IT. The foam/batting/fabric wrapping took 5 minutes. The trim really wasn’t that bad (I’m dramatic) and it’s totally worth the end result. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go bask in the glory of my comfortable and under $130 project.